How your pediatrician in Holly Springs, NC, can help your child stay safe during the summer
Summer is a fun time, especially for your child. Summer can also be a time that is more dangerous for children. You want to protect your child from injuries and illnesses, so you and your child can enjoy the summer. Your pediatrician can help.
Dr. Maria Castro at StarLight Pediatrics in Holly Springs, NC, provides comprehensive medical care for children, and she can help your child stay safe in the summer.
There are some easy summer safety tips to keep your child happy and safe in the summer. Remember to:
Always put sunscreen on your child, even if it’s just for a short period. The sunscreen should be at least SPF 15, or SPF 30 to 50 if your child is fair-skinned and burns easily.
Have your child wear a hat and sunglasses to protect the top of the head from burning, and the eyes.
Make sure your child stays hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
Find some shade to avoid damaging, direct UV rays.
Water safety is important too. Drowning is one of the most common causes of fatalities, especially with children. Remember to:
- Never leave your child unattended in or near water.
- Make sure your child wears a life jacket while in a boat or near water.
- Have small children always wear a swim diaper to prevent the spread of germs in public pools.
Make sure your house and yard are safe too. Remember to:
- Always have your child wear the appropriate footwear to protect your child’s feet.
- Keep your child away from fire, including barbecues, fire pits, and campfires.
- Keep your child away from animals which can bite or scratch.
Don’t forget about being safe in the car. Remember to:
Always put a seatbelt on your child, and yourself. Your child will understand the importance of seatbelts if you are wearing one also.
These are just a few handy safety tips, so you and your child can have a fun summer. To learn more summer safety for children, call Dr. Maria Castro at StarLight Pediatrics in Holly Springs, NC. You can reach her in the office by calling (919) 762-5113, so call now.